Pelvic floor dysfunction- Assessment & management for Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists- An ISOMT Update
Pelvic floor dysfunction is an under reported and under diagnosed issue that will impact a majority of people at some point in their life. The prevalence of Urinary Incontinence increases with age and is estimated to impact 50 -85% of elderly living in long-term care facilities. It significantly decreases quality of life, and is a risk factor for falls, but unfortunately many people do not report it and many healthcare professionals are not prepared to address the issue. People who experience pelvic pain often wait year to get an accurate diagnosis and referral to a pelvic floor specialist.
The muscles of the pelvic floor are like most muscles, but have unique functions of supporting the urinary, reproductive, and gastrointestinal systems in addition to providing tensile force that supports lumbo- pelvic stability.
This four-hour beginner level course with Dr. Digwood will prepare you to provide education, evaluation and interventions to diagnosis and treat pelvic floor dysfunction. All written materials, full course video recordings for lifetime access, and Course Certificate will be given.
Course Objectives :
- Describe and understand the anatomy and physiology of the pelvic floor and pelvis
- Describe the role of the pelvic floor muscles in supporting lumbopelvic, urinary, reproductive, and gastrointestinal health
- Describe the most common types of incontinence and list how physical therapy can impact each
- Describe common pelvic floor pain issues and list how physical therapy can impact each
- Screen for pelvic floor as a primary pathology or secondary component in clients with hip and low back pathologies
- Appropriately incorporate the pelvic floor into history and physical exam during evaluations. Identify red flags that warrant a referral back to the physician
- List the signs and symptoms of a hypotonic or hypertonic pelvic floor, and when to refer to a specialist who can do an internal examination for further diagnosis
- Demonstrate effective beginner level pelvic floor evaluation and retraining techniques
- Identify visual and palpable indications of a correct pelvic floor contraction.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the current epidemiology of pelvic floor dysfunction in those with low back pain, hip pain, pelvic pain, and pelvic floor dysfunction.
Come & learn soon.
Chapters & Learning Objectives
Chapter -1 - What is Pelvic Rehab ? Who do we treat ?
: 00:30 Hour
In this first chapter, Dr Digwood discusses about the definition of Pelvic rehab and its indications. She also elaborates about the healthcare professionals who can use Pelvic floor rehab in their clinical settings to help the patients.
Chapter 2- What do we treat?
: 00:34 Hour
In this chapter, Dr.Digwood discusses about the conditions that are treated in Pelvic Floor Rehab. Indications of Pelvic Floor Rehab like Painful Bladder Syndrome , Urethral Pain, Incomplete Emptying or Retention are further discussed and explained. .
Chapter 3 - Understanding the Pelvic Floor Anatomy
: 00:08 Hour
In this chapter , pelvic floor anatomy is discussed by the US expert. She presents both male and female pelvic floor muscles and discusses different layers of muscles. Muscular attachments and pelvic organs are mentioned by Dr Digwood as well.
Chapter 4 - Functions of the Pelvic floor
: 00:10 Hour
In this chpater, many functions of Pelvic floor are discussed by Dr Digwood. How pelvic floor and its associated muscles help in organ functions. Pelvic floor and relation to bladder functions are explained in details in this chapter.
Chapter 5 - Researches in Pelvic Floor Rehab.
: 00:06 Hour
In this chapter, Dr Digwood discusses about the researches in Pelvic Floor Rehab. She talks about bladder training, bladder control strategies, pelvic floor muscle training, fluid management. She also mentions about the researches from American Urological Association (AUA) 2014, HARQ-2012 .
Chapter 6 - Treatment options & Case Studies in Pelvic Rehab
: 00:08 Hour
In this chapter, Dr. Digwood discusses about treatment options like Pelvic Floor Muscles strengthening, urge suppression techniques. She also mentions about education regarding behavioral strategies to improve urinary continence. She also discusses some case studies of Pelvic Rehab.
Chapter 7 - Question & Answer Discussion
: 00:42 Hour
In this chapter, Dr. Digwood answers all questions asked by participants regarding pelvic floor rehab. She makes question-answer session very interesting by explaining each question in detail.